What to do in Cairns!
If you are in Cairns and you want to enjoy the nature doing some activities, you are in the right place to do it.
This tropical area is rich in breathtaking scenery and special places, with plenty of activities, because in every corner there are agencies with varied travel packages from which you can choose.
We were in Cairns in May 2017, and in our case, we chose to enjoy a package of a 1-day tour and another of 2 days tour. In this post, we will talk about our experience and what we liked more during this tours.
By the number of waterfalls around this city, the first-day tour was with and , a complete trip with a mandatory stop in the most beautiful waterfalls in the area.
Tour Highlights – Waterfalls Wanderers
- Waterfall Milla Milla Falls, whit 18 meters high and a lagoon when you can swim.
- Dinner falls and the mount Hypipamee, you can also swim here.
- viewing. Platypus is a rare animal that can only be found in Australia. As they are in their wild state and these animals are most active at night, we, unfortunately, didn’t see any on this day.
- Lake Eacham, it’s a beautiful place but at the same time a little scary. Despite having a diving platform and seeing some people swimming in the lake, there are warnings everywhere to warn of the danger of crocodiles … We do not risk going into the water.
- Curtain Fig Tree, this 500 year old tree is huge. An impressive sample of this species, with regard to size, shape and age. You have to see with your eyes.
- Josephine Falls Waterfall, one of the most famous waterfalls in Tropical North Queensland, inside the rainforest.
Cairns is quite touristy in Australia because it is located in one of the best areas of the Great Barrier Reef for diving, where the coral is not so damaged. Then it is obligatory to do snorkelling or scuba diving there. So we choose to go until Cape Tribulation where two natural World Heritage listed sites exist side by side (Great Barrier Reef and Daintree Rainforest), we book a two days tour with
and and it was one of the best experiences we had in Australia.
Tour Highlights – Tropics Explorer
- Evening at Cape Tribulation Beach House, a cosy and unique place on the beach and the rainforest, amazing food and accommodation.
- Half day tour to the reef, the trip is made by boat and takes about 30 minutes to reach the snorkelling sites. If snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef is a great experience, the return trip to the coast can be equally interesting. The sight of land in the distance, the mountain to appear on the horizon, a huge deserted beach surrounded by palm trees and giant trees provides an incredible sensation, it seems that we are arriving at a place yet to be discovered and to draw on the map.
- Aboriginal Welcome Ceremony and Smokers, were we can learn and understand a little more about the Australian Aboriginal culture, traditions and stories, more specifically the Kuku Yalanji people, the aborigines originating in this region.
- Journey into the rainforest of Mossman Gorge, here we can walk through footbridges located a few meters high and in the middle of the rainforest, cross a suspended bridge and dive into the clean and cool waters coming directly from the source at the top of the mountain.
- The Daintree River Wildlife Cruise where you can see wild crocodiles. It’s about an hour boat ride along the river. The crocodiles are in their wild state, the banks are full of them, but you can also spot some in the water. There is no need to be afraid because they don’t attack the boats but it is better not to risk putting your arms out of the boat when you are about 2/3 meters from a crocodile about 4 meters long.
- Daintree Rainforest, the oldest Rainforest in the world, estimated to be between 130 and 165 million years old, which means that it already existed in the Jurassic period. 28 Plants are considered to be the first to appear on planet Earth, 16 of them exist here in this forest. The forest has weathered the great extinctions that have occurred on our planet and there are some plants and animals that can not be found anywhere else in the world.
We highly recommend any of these tours, you will find a super fun and friendly team, incredible places and experiences to remember later. We loved it and got to feel all the magic of this tropical area in Queensland.
See the packages available in , and and if you travel here, share your opinions with us.